THE MOST RELIABLE NAME IN
EXPEDITIONS TO ACONCAGUA
Essential Equipment and Clothing
In addition to your “normal” daily clothes, you will need the following essential items:
- 4-5 season sleeping bag.
- Thermarest sleeping mat or Expedition standard Karrimat.
- Windproof down jacket
- Light hiking boots: for day hikes and trek up to Base Camp, plus spare laces.
- Plastic boots: because of the high winds and intense cold you require double-layered plastic mountaineering boots with gaiters. Single skinned boots are not warm enough.
- Rucksack – 70-80 litres.
- Daypack – recommended 30-35 litres (to carry camera, rain gear, snacks, water on supported walking days).
- Mountaineering ice axe (55-65cm).
- Step-in crampons (recommend Mountain Technology, Grivel or Chalet Moser).
- Trekking poles (adjustable)
- Gortex outer shell jacket and trousers or sallopetes.
- Good quality long thermal underwear tops and bottoms. Polypropylene. NOT cotton or cotton blend
- Wash kit, small towel.
- Head torch and battery.
- Ski goggles and glacier glasses plus spare high protection sunglasses.
- Wool or fleece hat, fleece neck guard.
- Neck buff (to keep out wind and dust).
- Fleece or down mittens, plus Gore-tex overmitts and two pairs lightweight synthetic inner gloves.
- Balaclava (lightweight, with mouth-space for breathing).
- Plastic mug and bowl. Knife, fork and spoon.
- Sun cream (factor 25+) and 2 lip salves (factor 20+).
- Sun hat or baseball cap and bandanna or neck protector.
- Sandals (comfortable at the lower camps).
- 2 X 1-litre water bottles (wide-mouthed Nalgene-type), 1 X 1liter insulated bottle, recommended “Thermos”.
- Small first aid kit including antiseptic cream, painkillers, diahrhoea treatment, throat lozenges, blister treatment, plasters and rehydration salts. Glucose and vitamin tablets may also be useful.
- Plastic container (to use for urinating into on cold nights on the mountain).
We also recommend:
- Money and money belt.
- Spare glasses or contact lenses.